Friday, August 6, 2010

August 6, 2010,

Hello everyone,

This is our last day in Mbarara. I went to the hospital to meet with Ivan Wong, a senior medical student from Cambridge who is here to do a feasibility study on the implementation of an ER obstetrical response team. He is working with a larger group from the UK and is here for 3 weeks. We met to discuss ways to combine our efforts since our objectives are similar and prevent a duplication of efforts. Ivan told me about an express train from Paris to London that takes two hours and goes under the channel in case I could manage a visit to meet the leader of his team Dr. Isabeau Walker. The thought of travelling along the ocean floor is unsettling and I’m not sure I could make the trip without fortifying my nerves! We shall see if I can get up my courage.

I also met with the residents of the Obstetrical department and the senior resident, Dr. Mussa who will be coming in January 2011. Not the best time to come to Canada but he is up to the challenge of the snow and cold. While at the meeting I met a McMaster medical student who is doing a month in Uganda for his international studies. It’s funny that no matter where you travel or for what purpose you are always pleased to meet someone from close to home. Often you compare acquaintances and sure enough he knew a student I had taught in first year. Last year I actually came across one of my students doing the same elective at Mulago Hospital.

Jessica, Marnie and Ed went to the Queen Elizabeth park this afternoon and had a great time. They saw lots of hippos, elephants, water buffalo, crocadiles, and wart hogs. Still haven’t seen a lion. We’ll have to keep coming back until we’re successful!

Tonight we’re all going to a final dinner with our hosts from Mbarara. It has been a wonderful and fruitful visit. Its sad to say goodbye to our friends once again. Luckily with email and skype we can keep in touch.

Til tomorrow, Saramin, Jessica, and Marnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment